Wednesday, March 13, 2013

How to figure your MBs

Who would have thought that a Math teacher would have trouble converting KBs (kilobytes) to MBs (megabytes)?

It took a little lesson from my son to help me with this one.  It is important since it affects my pricing structure when publishing a Kindle book.  I'm just about ready to publish my 2nd book that you are going to love, especially if you are a beginning cook and are looking for a really great meal to make for yourself or your special someone.  The title of the book is

Saving Money 101--Cooking School Chicken Italian

Look for it in the next couple of days at www.amazon.com/author/dianeschmitt

Anyways, here is how to change from kilobytes to megabytes:

Take your kilobytes:  I had 1745 kilobytes.
Convert those to bytes.  Since "kilo" means 1,000, multiply your kilobytes by 1,000 to find bytes.

1745 x 1000 = 1745000 or 1,745,000 bytes.

In one megabyte, there are 1,000,000 bytes.

So, (now here comes the real math) 
Take 1,745,000 and divide by 1,000,000
The answer is 1.745 MBs. 

Yeah.  Download fees at Kindle charge $0.15 (15 cents) per MB, so to figure how much it would be to download this book for me for each one purchased I would multiply 1.745 x 15 cents or ~ 27 cents each if I used one royalty structure. 

(With the other royalty structure, there is no download fee.)

No comments:

Post a Comment