Monday, June 17, 2013

SAVING MONEY WHILE CELEBRATING A SPECIAL DAY

Well, Father's Day has just passed.  Let me tell you about how we saved money but still had a great day.

Greeting Cards--Sometimes I go online to Crosscards.com and choose a great card that will be sent to the recipient on their special day.  This year, I couldn't find any Father's Day cards for husbands there that I liked, so I decided to make my own.  I just went to MS Word, new document, and typed in cards.  There were many templates to choose from.  I didn't like their picture or their words, so got rid of that part and imported a picture of Neal and granddaughter Nina sitting on his lap...It was especially nice because he had not seen the picture so it was a real surprise.  Then, I made up a message that was just what I wanted to say...I didn't have to look for 10-15 minutes in the Hallmark store for an appropriate message.  I printed it out in color and voile!  There it was.  He loved it.

Food--A fish fry was calling us on Friday night at a local restaurant.  We hadn't gone there before and really wanted to try it, so, that really was the Father's Day dinner celebration.  On the day itself, we had one of his favorite dishes, Chicken Italian, at home.  Before that, though, I whipped up a batch of oatmeal cookies with peanut butter M&Ms in them.  (Neal knows that I won't eat these, so when we put the leftovers in the frig, they were alllll his.)  I made a few plain and with raisins for me.  Boy, did they taste good, and we had all the makings here.  I don't bake as much anymore, so it was very special to have fresh cookies for dessert.

Activities--We were both a little under the weather Sunday, so decided to play it close to home.  Usually, we would go to church and then for a drive or a long bike ride to enjoy the Florida scenery.  This time, we talked and talked and laughed and laughed together...that's what happens when you've been married 45 years.  You have lots to talk about.  We also had a nice "church" service here.  Neal chose the Scriptures and we had a prayer time for each other and for each of our kids, spouses and grandkids.  There are always challenges in a family, so there are always prayer needs.  And God can take care of anything that comes our way.  We thank Him for that.  And we love that He is concerned about us, big things and little things.

Gifts--I got Neal a special collage of pictures from our trip to Key West--eight pictures that were vibrant and colorful and fit on an 8 x 10" picture.  Thanks to Walgreens for giving that to us for free.  Neal got one for me of pictures from our train trip four years ago across the country.  That was a special surprise for me!  I had seen a book at Sam's Club that I snuck past Neal at the checkout--How to Do Practically Anything from Reader's Digest.  I loved previewing it, so I know he will enjoy it as well.

Hope this gives you some ideas for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment