Monday, April 15, 2013

How I Saved Big Money Today

So, here's the story...About a year or so ago, we bought a new printer.  It also scans and copies and faxes.  We print and copy with it.

All was well until yesterday, when it started making screeching noises.  Oh, oh...but it still was printing just fine.

Today, it screeched and also wasn't printing.  This was bad!  We had just bought another two boxes of inkjet ink for this printer...it was too soon to die. 

I had Neal look at it, when I couldn't get the paper jam message to go away myself.  He couldn't either.  Of course, we don't have an instruction booklet, since they don't pack those with the product anymore.

After about an hour of this and when Neal gave up on it, I thought about trying to find out if there was anything that I could do from Brother, the maker.  I searched through Yahoo for their official website and easily found it.  I found the instruction manual online, but didn't find any specific instructions for fixing the problem that I hadn't already tried. 

But I did find phone numbers for customer service, and a very nice and patient representative listened to my dilemna and led me step by step through the inside and outside of the printer, looking for anything that didn't look quite right. 

After about 10 minutes on the phone with her, suddenly, the printer started working again, perfectly!  No more screeching either!

Oh boy, we were almost ready to chuck it.  This little manover saved us $150-200, since we didn't have to run out and buy a replacement.  PTL!

No comments:

Post a Comment